Haloperidol 20 mg tab is a medicine that is basically used for the treatment of an illness called schizophrenia which is a mental disorder in which a person develops unreal imagination. It acts by blocking the action of a chemical messenger in the brain that affects thoughts and moods. This medicine could be taken with food or on an empty stomach but needed to be at the same time every day, it could also be used to treat severe behavior problems in adults and children. The intake of this medicine should be in accordance with the doctor’s prescription and its dosage and duration should also be taken as prescribed by your doctor. If you have missed any dose then you should make sure the next day you don’t forget to take it regularly.
The course of the treatment should be finished properly even if you feel better and the intake of this medicine should not be stopped suddenly without informing your doctor. Some of the common side effects of this medication are insomnia, muscle spasm, and headache. These side effects are not to be worried about and get cured by themselves within a short time but if they get worse and don’t get resolved then you should consult your doctor. If you are suffering from any pre-existing medical condition then you should inform your doctor before taking this medicine to avoid any severe side effects.
Uses Of Haloperidol 20 mg tab
- Treatment Of Schizophrenia.
- If you are allergic to any of the ingredients of the Haloperidol 20 mg tab then you should take it.
- If you are suffering from any pre-existing health condition then you should inform your doctor to avoid any harmful side effects.
- Alcohol consumption should be avoided as intake of it will worsen the medical condition.
- If you are pregnant then you should consult your doctor before taking it as it may affect the unborn baby.
- If you are breastfeeding it is generally recommended to not take Haloperidol 20 mg tab. Please consult your doctor in order to know whether the benefits outweigh the risks.
- The intake of Haloperidol 20 mg tab may cause dizziness. So you should not drive any machinery unless you are fully alert.
- If you are suffering from any liver disease then you should inform your doctor about it so that the dose could be adjusted.
- If you are suffering from any kidney disease then you should inform your doctor about it so that the dose could be adjusted.
- Haloperidol 20 mg tab is not recommended for children who are below one year of age. Consultation with your doctor is mandatory before giving this medicine to children.
Common Side Effects Of Haloperidol 20 mg tab
- Abnormality of voluntary movements
- Feeling agitated
- Difficulty sleeping
- Problems with vision, such as blurred vision
- Dry mouth or increased saliva
- The increased prolactin level in the blood
- Muscle stiffness
- Orthostatic hypotension (sudden lowering of blood pressure on standing)
- Difficulty getting and keeping an erection (impotence)
- Urinary retention
- Changes that show up in blood tests of the liver
- Weight gain
Directions Of Use
- Haloperidol 20 mg tab could be taken with or without food as per the doctor’s prescription. The medicine should not be crushed or chewed and needed to be swallowed as a whole with a glass of water.
- Store in a cool and dry place away from sunlight.
Q. How does Haloperidol 20 mg tab work?
Ans. Haloperidol 20 mg tab contains ‘Haloperidol’, which is a typical antipsychotic drug. It works by blocking the action of dopamine, a chemical messenger in the brain that affects thoughts and mood.
Q. Can I stop taking Haloperidol 20 mg tab on my own?
Ans. You are not recommended to stop taking Haloperidol 20 mg tab without consulting your doctor. It may cause withdrawal symptoms such as palpitations (the sensation that heart skipped a beat or extra beat), anxiety, confusion, difficulty sleeping, and tremors. Therefore, take Haloperidol 20 mg tab for as long as your doctor has prescribed it, and if you experience any difficulty while taking Haloperidol 20 mg tab, please consult your doctor so that the dose may be gradually reduced.
Q. Can Haloperidol 20 mg tab be used for the long term?
Ans. In some cases, long-term use of Haloperidol 20 mg tab may cause dyskinesia (a movement disorder). However, your doctor prescribes this medication if the benefits outweigh the risks.
Q. Is Haloperidol 20 mg tab safe for patients suffering from dementia-related psychosis?
Ans. Haloperidol 20 mg tab is not recommended in patients with dementia-related psychosis as it increases the risk of heart diseases like heart failure and infectious diseases like pneumonia. An alternate medicine should be considered based on the clinical condition.